Sunday, May 3, 2009

Catch, Release and Run

This has been one heck of a weekend, and I'm glad that it is almost over. I just hope my poor knees will recover in time for me to actually walk by tomorrow.

So let's see, where to start? Friday, I suppose. I had an absolute stinker of a day at work. Just flat out sucked. I know in the real world one can't expect to get on with everyone they work with, but there's a specific person that I work with who is regrettably making me not even want to be at my job. And I feel completely helpless about the whole situation, for reasons I can't really get into. Ugh. I'm quite flustered by the whole thing, but I guess I'm just going to leave it at that and pray that it works itself out once and for all.

Anyway, moving on from work, also on Friday, I came home in a rush on my lunch break to grab a sandwich and head back to work as I was running late and had a meeting to get to, and lo and behold, I had caught myself yet another cat. (I've been meaning to do a post on my cat trappin adventures-packed with pictures-but haven't had enough energy to do so.) But the tally is officially six...well, it WAS at six on Friday. So yes, I was in a hurry and saw that I had caught another unwanted feral beast and I knew I didn't have time to take it into the local shelter. No problem; I'll give them a buzz and have them pick it up. I spoke to someone and they assured me that someone would be right over to pick up the friggin animal. Long story short, I arrived home later that night at 9:30 only to find that the cat had never been picked up and was still in the trap. Now I'm the first to admit that I really have little if any sympathy for cats these days, but I was pretty lit that the thing had been trapped all day and was still on my property. So I let the little bugger go...which added to my fury, because that means I have to catch it AGAIN. Frick on a stick. I'm still kind of wound up about the whole thing, obviously.

But the fun doesn't stop there. Not only did I come home to find the cat still in the trap, but I also noticed a large, lifeless blob on the corner of my street. That blob turned out to be a drunk man. Fabulous. Long story short (again), I called 911 and had to stay on the line until someone arrived, while Kase carefully watched the blob to make sure he didn't choke on his own puke. Lovely, eh? And all of this happened whilst a friend was in town visiting for Bloomsday. I won't be surprised if said friend never wants to visit again...or at least without bringing her own shotgun. I also have a pretty interesting story involving a midnight trip to the new WinCo Foods, but I'm going to save that one for another time. Or not.

Bloomsday. This was only my third year doing Bloomsday in the four years that I've been in Spokane. Last year I didn't run because I needed to give my knees a break. But this year I was determined to suck it up and run the largest timed race in the world (mainly to get the t-shirt...which is butt-ugly B/T/W). The times aren't available yet, but I surprised myself and ended up running/jogging 90% of the 7.5mile run. (Mind you, I did hardly any "training" for the event. My main concern regarding the race was where we were going to eat when we finished.) The other 10% involved dragging my legs in an army crawl type maneuver. I'm trying to convince myself that it would be worth driving 20+ miles to the gym to soak in the hot tub for a while, but I honestly don't know if I will be able to lift myself off of the couch. Tomorrow morning is going to be very interesting. Praise the Lord for sick days.

That about does it.





1 comment: